Robotic Arts Intro Fall 2019 (IA277.01)
- Instructor: Lucas Haroldsen (email@example.com)
- Class Site: yasunaga.work/raif19
- syllabus: syllabus.pdf
- Resources: links.html
- Office hours: Tuesday 1 - 4pm
09/27: Arduino is here --- [Connecting/Architecture/Digital IO]
Today, we will go over together:
- Roomba observation
- to be a roomba
- What is arduino?
- Architecture (hardware) of arduino
- Overview of Arduino IDE (software)
- Basic coding structure
- What is a variable?
- Blinking LEDs with arduino
- Digital input and Digital output
- Conditional logic
- Using switches
- Using 2 or more digital outputs
- Using 2 or more switches
- Making a function
- trying out different examples
Code we used today can be found here!
Digital Input and Output
- Arduino Language Reference Page
- Arduino Playground
- Arduino Foundations Extended guide for learning arduino
- Adafruit Arduino Lessons Well documented 17 parts tutorials
Italian name arduino on first-names-meanings.com
How Computers Work: Information (binary)
BIY™ (Believe it Yourself) – Real-fictional belief-based computing kits by Automato
感情纏身装身具 / ACCESSORIES FOR WEARING EMOTIONS by Hazuki Katagai
The Artificial Defense Mechanism project by James Chambers
Electronic Harvest day is in Two Weeks! (10/11)
Thomas Thwaites: How I build a toaster -- from scratch
what to bring
- Bring electronics you want to take apart
- Bring drawing materials of your choice
- Bring tools like screw drivers, pliers, hammers... whatever that helps you with the harvest
- First floor of Digital Print Center next to the computer lab. There are black shelves and blue bins for broken electronics
- Brown Building First floor on the way to Cafe Doris
- Bunting First Floor next to bulletin board
NEXT WEEK NO CLASS!
We will not have a class next week!
Please work on your assignments!
Presentation — speculative projection
You are pitching your big idea to grant funder, organization, research institutions. Please put together a 5 minute presentation on your idea inspired and related to robotic arts (think of robotics in expansive ways). This proposed project does not have to be confined to a technical limitations nor a funding but there are a couple of requirements.
- Descriptions --- Describe your project concisely. Imagine an audience who does not come from an Art background.
- Present minimum of 3 presidents and describe why they are relevant to your ideas. Presidents can be a similar projects that exercise your idea. This does not have to be an art piece. Presidents can be something that relates to your project in its quality.
Important: what is a similarity and the difference between your presidents and your idea?
- Drawings and sketches that demonstrate your ideas.
- Think about what is the simplest version of this project.
Speculative Everything Chapter 5 A Methodological Playground: Fictional Worlds and Thought Experiments